Sunday, October 24, 2010

Anniversaries all around

So I missed writing on my 1 year blogaversary(okay that hurt to type that silly word)which was also my 8 year wedding anniversary. Yay, us! We made it through our 7th year, which ALMOST didn't happen. It was a really tough year. Our anniversary was spent with him out of town working and me in town with the kids...of course. The kids and I shared a slice of carrot cake to celebrate, Hubs and I had a nice long phone conversation the night before. It was great, I am not really sure when we last had such a good conversation. He came home that weekend, even though his work didn't want him to, and we did Halloween stuff with the kids. We went to a little farm, had hayrides, and pony rides, and petting zoo fun. We also got my new favorite family picture, which I can't share with you at the moment b/c the cord that connects my camera to the computer is MISSING, I suspect Littlest had something to do with the disappearance. A new cord has been ordered and will hopefully arrive soon, then I very well might overload my little blog with pictures and more pictures.

Unfortunately Hubs visit was cut shorter then I wanted (I have informed him if he needs to be gone for two weeks, then he needs to be home for 4-5 days, I'm afraid my feelings on the matter don't mean much compared to his companies feelings on the matter) and he had to leave after a paltry 3 days, one of which he had to work for. We are so used to him going that there was no adjustment time after he left, and when he came home I didn't even expect him to join us in our routine. We just kind of abandoned the way things work, enjoyed him being here and then picked back up when he left. This is nice because it prevents me from getting frustrated, although I wonder about the long term implications of my husband being a special visitor, instead of a member of the household. In reality thousands of families live this reality and make it work, so I suppose it isn't inherently detrimental. In fact my "Bestie" is about to begin this way of life as well. Her fiance having been temporarily laid off while the company waited for more work and then GOT more work out of the country. I imagine we will play a big roll in supporting each other in our new roll of the only at home parent, which is almost a silly thing to say since we have supported each other through most things and it only makes sense that we would work together through this. It will be nice to see her more, since her son started school we haven't been able to get together as much. Our kids go to different schools, and they all have after school activities now, she works evenings and nights and I don't work outside the home at all, then various kids get sick and play dates with other friends happen, etc. You know, Life.

Last night there was a neighborhood Halloween party, I LOVE this party! Dressing up, good food, neighbors surrounding you, and staying out until well past the kids bedtime. Some of my fondest memories are of neighborhood parties that stretched past bedtime with kids running around largely unsupervised in the night that seemed magical with our free reign of it and the adults in the peripheral of our world. I realize that the memories that make up my childhood will be different from the memories that make up my children's, as the memories that made up my parents and my grandparents vary, but I love the threads that connect them and make them all similar. So it was neat to be immersed in amusing conversation with adults, Littlest sleeping in the wagon, and Biggest and Middlest running with a pack of kids. Mummies, penguin, skeletons, R2-D2, Cruella Deville, witches, Padme Amidala, and various other costumed kids. Have I mentioned that Halloween is also my favorite holiday, so mixing the previously mentioned awesomeness with adults and kids alike dressed up just has me thrilled. Sometimes things mix in such a perfect way, that you know you are exactly where you always wanted to be. I love that.Now I just wish my kids would stop fighting this morning so I could feel like that again ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment