Monday, July 9, 2012

Fun with Contact Paper

A friend of mine posted about an activity she learned through parents as teachers, so when my girls were whining about wanting to watch TV I decided to give it a try. It only requires a few things, contact paper (I always have a roll on hand because I LOVE that stuff, I buy mine at Home Depot.) Bits of paper, yarn, beads, etc. You then tape the contact paper to the window sticky side out and let them stick bits of paper and yarn or whatever you have on hand.
They have been at this activity for over an hour now.
Once they are finished you just pull it off and stick the sticky side where ever you want to hang it. We now have some decorating the walls near all the girl's beds, one on the fish tank and I have now started cutting them to the size of the windows flanking the front door.Previously I have tried a variety of different solutions for these windows although none of them involved real curtains. We have used sheets, extra fabric, a pirate flag and a $30 roll of this sticker stained glass stuff from home depot. My kids had most of that peeled off within a week. Now I have started to place these creations by my children in the window. The whole roll of contact paper was about $14.00 I believe. I use it all the time and have been using the same roll for months. I have used the contact paper to seal up a poster Littlest got from a Yo Gabba Gabba concert her Aunt took her to...smartly so, since it has ended up under the bed and in her bed countless times and without the contact paper covering would be in shreds by now, I use it to make charts for the girls into checklist that you can use dry erase markers on and covering calenders for us to record upcoming events. This project is cheap and I think it will look way better than any other window solution we have used to date. I am also hoping that because it's their artwork they won't peel it off the windows.
I also appreciate that this is going to make my living room more private and I can therefore worry less that random strangers or mailmen will see the girls and I wandering around half naked.

No comments:

Post a Comment