Saturday, November 7, 2009

library take 2

I get text messages from my library system about upcoming events. Yesterday I received a message that they were having a family fun day, so the girls and I went to check it out. (Husband was supposed to be off today but announced he had to work after all, which is what happened last night after he told me the morning before that he would actually make it home for dinner. SIGH, but I guess that's another post, or maybe later in this one.) We arrived on time, despite Middlest refusing to put her shoes on or get in the car, and once getting in the car throwing a fit because the shoes I brought for her were NOT the ones she wanted to wear. Speaking loudly, but not angrily I explained that if I tell her to get her shoes on and she doesn't she will then loose the opportunity to choose her own shoes. There was some argument on her part, some repetition on my part and finally I just shut the door and got in the van. We turned in our books, unlocked the videos we had rented yesterday (they have self check out at this new library and while letting Middlest help me check out and trying to keep Littlest from crying I forgot to unlock them, even though I reminded myself in my head as I walked up to check out.) and joined the family fun.

We were the first ones there, which always makes me feel kind of funny but all of the librarians were super nice. They had games, crafts, a story area, and a food table set up. Each librarian in turn recognized me from story/baby time at our home library that has had many, many librarians cycle through, or from the free concerts in the park near our home, and one was even a high school classmate. Littlest charmed them with her sheer happiness and excitement, she liked the game area for the plethora of items to chew on. I sat with her and we talked about colors and textures. Something I realized I have never done with Littlest in her almost 9 months on this planet. Something I used to do with Oldest all the time when she was a baby. Enter mommy guilt. (I have decided to have Happy Littlest time every day with her while the older girls are at school.) Oldest immediately was drawn into the crafts and seemed to charm my old high school classmate. Middlest rocked out story time and dancing time and made friends with another boy her age. We stayed for two hours, I was surprised at how few people were there, but once again was thankful for another great free time at one of the library's events. If you haven't yet, I recommend checking out what programs and activities your library has to offer, you might be surprised. We had a blast with people entertaining my kids, providing free food and crafts, and we even got a bag to take home with some free books in it. In the past we have also enjoyed free puppet shoes and theatrical performances, and educational programs that were very hands on and kid friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment