Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Stuff

I feel like we are being overtaken by stuff, it's pouring out of the rooms and across the floors, it is dripping from the shelves and congesting the whole house. In a matter of minutes a clean floor can be covered. When I sweep there are toys, papers, bottles, magazines, books, shoes, tissues and lots and lots of sand. The girls room can not safely be walked through, peril comes to people or their stuff. No one in the house has any true respect for most of the objects in it. The insanity must stop, I have attempted on multiple occasions to pare down, I have gone on rampages of de-cluttering bringing 2-3 garbage bags out of the house at a time, yet we still seem to be overtaken by everything. It's hard for me sometimes to get rid of some of the kids toys, hard to let go of that cute shirt that my first daughter wore but the others won't wear. I need to disconnect emotion from objects, I need to accept that the kids MAKE their own toys when they want something, that the best toys are sticks, ropes, dirt and their own imagination. What is a reasonable amount of items? How can we fit 6 of us in a 2 bedroom house more comfortably? I want something all of us can keep under control. I hope this doesn't turn into most of my quests, a strong start with a resounding fizzle as it gets past over in the next great project.

No comments:

Post a Comment